Advertising on Facebook & Instagram
During the years, our clients created lots of successful dynamic social media campaigns with creatives generated in our platform. A couple of channels are more popular than others when it comes down to dynamic video advertising, and among the most popular are Facebook & Instagram.
Besides the fact that these channels are among the most used, Facebook & Instagram are also perfect channels for dynamic video advertising campaigns because of the large number of (targeting) possibilities and the API connection.
In this fast-growing market, consumers are demanding more and more relevant content. This can be a hassle for Brands and Media Agencies, but it can also be quite expensive and time consuming when ads are created in a traditional way. Therefore, it’s essential to generate and distribute content in a fast and scalable way.
IN THIS ARTICLE
|How to||The Basics|
|Setting up a Campaign||Limitations & Boundaries|
|Bulk Edits||Best Practices|
|Things to know/remember|
How to use the Storyteq platform in combination with Facebook & Instagram
Within the platform, video templates can be created by using our After Effects tool or by using the in-platform template editor. Once a video template is created you can generate tons of different videos and images in just a few clicks.
The possibilities are endless. You can determine what kind of metrics you want to be dynamic within the created template. For example, you can choose to adjust your videos based on your different target audiences, the different markets, channels or aspect ratios.
You can easily share, review, adjust, and approve the created assets with different kind of stakeholders to make the process even easier.
By connecting your Facebook Business Manager account and page to the platform you can upload your newly created videos towards your Facebook Library with ease. Next to that, you are also able to download the created assets.
You are in full control of every step, for example, changing the names of the assets so that it will match your company's naming convention within the Facebook Library.
The basics of using Storyteq assets within Facebook & Instagram
Once the assets are pushed to the Facebook Library, you can add the right assets to the right campaigns and ad sets.
You can add the assets to the right campaigns and ad sets in multiple ways:
Manually or via the Facebook Business Manager import/export:
- Import/export steps:
- Download/export your campaign or selected ad sets
- Open and edit your download in Open Office (or make sure your excel settings match the configuration)
- Save as CSV
- Import the edited CSV
- Publish your changes
Setting up a Campaign
The first and very important step is to decide what kind of dynamic video advertising campaign you would like to run and set the boundaries. This determines how the campaign should be set-up for the best possible outcome.
Because of the large number of possibilities available within Facebook Business Manager, there are a lot of parameters available to make videos dynamic. Such as location, age, gender, occupation, interests, weather and so on.
Be creative, but make sure the dynamic parameter corresponds with your brand and your target audience for the best campaign results, also do not go overboard with the number of ads.
Limitations & Boundaries
When making a dynamic campaign strategy, keep in mind that every platform has different restrictions and limits
The Facebook Business Manager limits are:
- Each campaign can contain a maximum of 200 ad sets
- Each ad set can contain a maximum of 50 ads
Besides that, a minimum budget per campaign and ad set is necessary to be able to run a dynamic campaign on Facebook Business Manager.
- Every ad set needs a bare minimum of €1 per ad set, per day to start running. With this bare minimum budget per day, per ad set you are not yet able to optimize on budget.
- Therefore, it is advised to allocate a budget of > €1,50 per day, per ad set to get the most out of your dynamic campaign and getting more optimization possibilities.
Once the campaign is set-up you can start testing and start making optimizations.
Most dynamic video campaigns are a bit more complex in comparison to other Social Media campaigns. Therefore, it is advised to use the available ‘’bulk’’ function within the platform or to use the Facebook import/export function to make your optimizations without losing valuable time.
The past years we have seen, created and advised on a lot of successful dynamic video campaigns within the Facebook / Instagram platform. We would like to share some best practices with you so you can make the most out of your dynamic video campaigns on Facebook & Instagram.
- Deciding where your ads will be shown on Facebook is an important choice as this will affect user engagement. For the most successful outcome, the Storyteq advice is to focus on the newsfeed and stories when using dynamic video assets.
- It is very important to adjust the dynamic videos according to the placements features and the placement aspect ratios. Make the most out of the placement’s possibilities with your ads.
- Within a Social Media platform, you have 1 to 3 seconds to get someone’s attention and to tell them your message. Therefore, it is important to use short videos with a clear and relevant message. Keep in mind that many people use Social Media without sound. So, you get a quick win when you add subtitles to your videos.
- If you are going to add dynamic elements in your video’s, don’t add them at the end of the videos because most people who watch your video are not going to see the end of the video. Get their attention at the beginning of the video and add the dynamic element there. Remember to also use the dynamic element in the Facebook & Instagram copy.
- To be more relevant, a lot of different target audiences can be created. But it is important to find the right balance in the target audience size and the performance of the audience.
- A specific target audience is more expensive (higher CPM) in comparison to a broad target audience but the performance is often way better. Find out what works best for your campaigns.
- The possibilities to add more relevancy to your ads are endless but we advise you to not go overboard by doing several tests within one campaign. It is better for your campaign and for your learnings to test 1 or 2 things at once.
- We advise to work with different hypotheses and to test different things in different campaigns or campaign phases.
- So, for example, in week 1 and 2 you can run the first hypothesis and in week 3 and 4 the second hypothesis. You can repeat this over and over again to gain a lot of learnings after each test.
Things to know/remember
The discrepancy between Facebook and Google Analytics conversions
This is a well-known problem for everyone who is working with digital campaigns (not just dynamic video campaigns). Most companies are running Social Media campaigns but also use a tool that is tracking the website like, Google Analytics, the website traffic and the realized conversions on that website.
There are a couple of reasons why both systems measure conversion in a different way and therefore they shall never show the exact numbers:
- Google Analytics uses a last-click attribution model while Facebook is claiming conversions when a user has had at least one interaction with an add.
- Google Analytics assigns the conversions to the moment when the conversion occurs while Facebook is assigning the conversions to the moment of interaction that leads to the conversion.
The most important thing is to pick one of the systems as the ‘’truth’’ before you start your campaigns. And besides that, make sure you use UTM-tagging for all your digital campaigns.
Using Facebook import and export files
Always use Open Office if you are using the import and export files for your Facebook campaigns and save your files as CSV.
The maximum amount of geo-locations in one ad set:
Facebook has limits for different kind of geo-locations used in one ad set:
- A maximum of 25 countries
- A maximum of 250 cities
- A maximum of 2.500 postal codes
An ad-set budget selection can’t be changed once the campaign is set-up
Once you have chosen a specific budget selection you cannot change it afterwards. For example, you can’t change a day budget to a campaign duration budget after this ad set has been set-up.
You cannot set a frequency cap if you don’t choose a ’Reach’ objective. Therefore, it is to be advised to keep a close eye on your campaigns, especially with a dynamic video campaign based on location targeting. You can pause the location ad sets when the average frequency is exceeding the ‘’cap’’.